Monday, October 20, 2008

Spiraling Down...again

Why is it, just when you think things are going along so smoothly, everything falls apart?

For the third time in our married life Shawn is unemployed. His company was downsized today. He was one of the newer employees.

He's fine. I'm terrified. He had been struggling with his boss a lot lately which included a breakfast meeting where his boss yelled obscenities at him. See why he's fine? I've liked this job because he was in sales and officed from the house. His hours were pretty flexible and we got to spend more time with him. Now? Who knows? Since he has a nursing degree he can get a job quickly but we want it to be the right one. I'm just praying. I've stopped crying. For a while.

This is survivable. We will be fine. We've done this twice before.

We have three friends battling cancer right now. They're all fathers and husbands. I'll be sitting at the hospital Wednesday with a wife while her husband is in a major surgery. I'm running a half marathon for a friend that lost her son. This is not the end of the world.

But still...if you think about us in the next few weeks would you say a prayer? First, that I don't hurt him while he's home a lot like I wanted to last time, and second, for the right job to come along-quickly. As in yesterday.

Thank you.

10 comments:

Renee said...

Nicholas and I have been in the same situation...we moved to VA for his job, we were 2wks from closing on our house we sold in OK and about to move into one in VA, then Nic lost his job! I was terrified. I kept reminding the Lord of his promises of "the plans I have for you" and that He would "never give you more then you can bear!" I'm praying for you all! I love you!!!

Anonymous said...

I am there with you. Our company is in dire straits right now. Paychecks are few and far between, bills are not getting paid. It's scary. My husband is calm about it, but I'm a wreck. It scares me to be so insecure.

Kristie said...

Steph, one thing I've learned is that just because other people are having problems, it doesn't make your problems any less. So don't feel bad for being worried .... I'm just glad to know Sean is good with it!! I'll file this under "in hindsight, it was a good thing" and I just know that you'll look back on it later and be better off. Scary getting there, but you will!!

Kristie said...

PS. I'm a dork. I can't believe I just spelled his name wrong.

SHAWN, not sean. :)

Melissa said...

Steph,
Hang in there. I completely understand your position but know that someone greater than us is in control. You are in our prayers.

Robin said...

Oh Steph, I'm so sorry. I will be praying!

Margaret Glyn said...

I am sorry and concerned but am so confident in Shawn and in the Lord's leadership in his life. Surely, this is meant to position him for just the right job that is out there for him. My love and prayers are always with you--and now I will add this to the list! Love, Gigi

Kathy said...

I just found your blog and am happy to meet you :)

Im sorry about your husband's job situation and I KNOW how frustrating ande scary that is.

I am praying for you and for HIS peace and guidance. HE is there for you no matter what. My husband was unemplyed for over three years and we still don't make enough money to even eat...but God is good and Faithful.

Im not saying this is the beginning of a long road for you--it most likely is NOT but God has been faithful to us in the LONG road and I KNOW He will be there for you :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, ugh, I'm so sorry to hear that.

Yeah, as an RN he can get a job in a heartbeat. But, as a former RN, I can say that if you feel done with nursing you sure don't want to go back! I don't know if that's the case with him or not, but I hope he finds just the job he wants.

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

I don't like the new follow feature on blogger. I liked it better when i just visited blogs daily to see if people updated. Now, I miss stuff all the time. Anyway, he'll get something soon. I'm glad he isn't having obscenities yelled at him anymore. That company didn't deserve him.