Monday, January 12, 2009

I did it again

Well, I've lost my mind, once again. I signed up for another half marathon! Again with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Another Angel had been working on me for a while because she had already signed on.

I am excited for many reasons.

*I will get to help raise more money for cancer research.
*I will get to spend more time with an amazing group of people who are all working toward one goal.
*I will have a drive to continue running.
*I will make new friends and meet more people who have fought a hard battle and won.
*I will help my dear friends John and Tracy raise more money to donate in the name of their lost son.

I have a few apprehensions as well.

*I will again be fundraising but with only two of us and a golf and baseball tournament for Go Mitch Go it will be easier.
*I will be running in San Francisco. Tulsa on steroids!
*I will be losing my Saturday morning ability to sleep in again.

Well look, the good ones outweigh the bad!

I really feel drawn to do this. It was fun to be a part of the big group of Angels but this time I feel like I'm doing it because I really feel it's needed. I want to help this amazing organization just once more.

I shared my excitement with someone recently who was disappointed. I was told that it was, "too bad" because it took so much time away from my family.

Hmmm. Let me tell you how I feel about that statement.

*I run early in the morning, late at night, or while Shawn is at work and the girls are at school.
*The Saturday morning runs are while most of my family is still asleep!
*The Saturday morning runs are not mandatory so when I have a family commitment I don't have to go.
*I am capable of doing the long runs on my own if needed.
*I am a stay-at-home mom who spends most of my day doing things for my family. I deserve to have something that I can do just for me. It may sound selfish but I feel I have earned it.

So, there you go.

I will be ending a journey when I cross the finish line Sunday.

And in May I will get to set my foot in front of me and start again.

I can't wait.

8 comments:

Robin said...

I think that's great. Go for it!!!

Kelly said...

You are doing such a great thing!!!!

Anonymous said...

You go girl!! I don't think you're being selfish at all! What a strange thing to be disappointed about!?!? I think it's great! :)

Becky said...

It's addicting, isn't it? I think you have no reason to feel guilty. You're doing something good for yourself and others and working it around your family time. There is nothing wrong with that!

I'll be working the TNT finish tent on Sunday from 10-noon. Maybe I'll see you there!

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you. You deserve to do this for yourself. You have a great family who supports you so don't feel bad at all. What better example to your girls could you possible show... helping others by selflessly giving your time, energy and love. Go for it!

Anonymous said...

That was me... Beth... by the way.

Kristie said...

I sure hope it wasn't my facebook comment that bothered you .... I am pretty sure you know I was only teasing you! And if you didn't know, let me reassure you that I was!

Melissa said...

I'm pretty sure I know who made the comment and I'm so sorry for that person's negative perspective on the issue. Please remember that those that don't understand tend to show ignorance. You are doing a great thing as well as taking care of your body in a great way. Personally, what a great gift to give your family and what a great example of love and generosity you have become.