Monday, April 6, 2009

Nests

*****Updated*****

Cozyflier and deedee had an interesting question that I should have covered! I use the leftover circle for sandwiches for the girls lunches. It's our own 'uncrustables' without spending the money!


When The Pioneer Woman wrote about this she had many alternative titles. Some made me giggle, some kind of grossed me out!

*Egg-in-a-Basket
*Chicken-in-a-Basket
*Frog-in-a-Hole
*Toad-in-a-Hole
*Egg Basket
*Bird’s Nest Egg
*Toad Hole
*Egg Hole
*Pop Eyes
*Egg Toast
*Private Eyes
*Bird’s Nest Egg-in-a-Hole Basket Toad Chicken Frog

At our house, they're Nests. Don't ask me why...I really don't have a good answer. And I just can't lie under pressure.

For my now very plain sounding 'Nests'...I start with a slice of my Molasses Oat Bread. You could just stop there. It's good enough to stand on its own. But...you can take it one more step and trust me, you should. You will enter a whole new world of flavor.

So, where was I? Oh yes! The bread.
I searched my whole 'food' folder and I don't have a picture of just a slice...oh well, I like this one!

Next pull out your oldest cookie cutter that is smaller than the slice of bread. Mine was given to me by some cousins when they were downsizing. It has had lots of previous use and I love that you can tell it!The stories this cookie cutter could tell!

Cut out a hole.Melt some butter in a skillet,and put the bread in. Quickly crack an egg into the openingand use the edge of your spatula to break the yolk. Sprinkle it with a little salt and pepper. After cooking for a few minutes, flip it over.

Cook until egg is to your liking. At our house, if I'm fixing the egg, it will be dead. But feel free to do it your own way. Whatever floats your boat. Whatever makes your skirt fly up.

But if you're going to eat an egg that runs away from you when you cut into it, don't invite me over for breakfast!


5 comments:

Cozyflier said...

So, what do you you do with the circle???? Surely you don't throw it away!!

Looks good.

deedee said...

Cozyflier and I think alike. What happen to the circle?

Kelly said...

I told you, we just keep having more and more in common...I can't stand a runny yolk...yuuuuukkk. Fry mine extra hard!
Oh and if your like me I usually put the circle in the buttered frying pan and "toast" it just a bit it is yummy that way.

jean said...

A girl after my own heart - I can't STAND runny yolks, either! Yuck! Gross! They have to be hard or scrambled for me to put my fork in them.

Margaret Glyn said...

I am back at home--late in checking your blog. The Betty Crocker Boys and Girls Cookbook (I have had mone for about 60 years)ca;;s ot "Eggs in a Frame"!