Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Where's the Beef?

Remember that old Wendy's commercial with the old lady that kept saying that? I'm dating myself, but I do remember them. I still laugh when I think about it.

Today I made my annual pilgrimage to Pocassett, Oklahoma to find the beef. It was there, at the butcher, just like it is every year. We buy a side of beef from a rancher. It's like Christmas for a cook like me. All the possibilities with a freezer full of beef.

I love the drive to the butcher. Once I got off the interstate it was little towns, old houses, wheat fields, and miles of nothingness to stare at. While growing up I wanted to marry a rancher and live out in the country. Ride horses everyday, look out my windows and see pastures. I did date a rancher for a while. Then his horse threw me which broke my arm and cracked my pelvis. After the lawsuit was filed the relationship pretty much fizzled out. I do have fond memories of the time we spent riding around his property watching the sun set from horseback. I also have one arm that's two inches shorter then the other but that's a story for another day.

I wouldn't change my life or where I am now for anything...but when I get off the beaten path and get back out to the country...it makes my mind wander.



Oh, and to answer the question that started this blog.

Where's the beef? It was in the trunk of my car,

but now it's in my deep freeze:C)

No comments: