Tuesday, November 30, 2010

San Francisco-Day 5-Headed Home!

After our late night we all took our time getting up and around on our last morning. Then we realized we were running out of time and started shoving things in bags and suitcases.

Then we decided it was time for breakfast. We walked a few blocks from the hotel and found a little outdoor cafe. It is amazing what a difference a few hours makes in the type of people you see on the streets.

My two eggs and hash browns and water came to a total of $9. Man was I ready for Oklahoma pricing.

We of course had to take a picture. What else do you do on a girls' trip?? I asked the ladies behind us to take our picture and wasn't surprised to hear a very thick accent. The one that spoke a little English agreed to take the picture. The other one turned and sort of smiled since she was in the picture.

We were finishing when two men came up and said they weren't going to ask us for money, they were going to ask to eat the rest of the food on our plates. That's something we'd run into around every corner while we were there, beggars. Lying on the sidewalk, holding signs, having their dogs hold signs. Dogs with signs with dirty words on them. And no, I didn't get a picture. We got up to leave because we were uncomfortable and after we'd crossed the street they started digging in. The ladies behind us gave them cash and we spotted them outside Subway soon after. Soon it was time to grab our bags and figure out the fastest and cheapest way to get to the airport. With four woman and more than four total bags, we were looking at two different cabs. The guy that holds the whistle and catches cabs for the hotel (I'm sure he has an official title) suggested a Town Car. It was about $12 a person and we decided it was the way to go. I'm sure the scenery was nice on the way out but I couldn't look away from the rear view mirror. He was either handsome in a dark mysterious way...or was planning how he was going to kill us. We survived so I guess it was the first choice:c)

When I fly I have to wear the patches behind my ears or I feel the need to throw up my socks. I had patches leftover from the Phoenix trip so I knew I'd be fine. Sadly I can't throw away trash and when I got out my last one to put on for this flight, it was just an empty package. Nice going Stefunk. Not to worry, I'd packed my sea sickness bracelets. Not fashionable, but they'd helped me through the flight in my uncle's home built plane. For some stinking reason we had two layovers. And you know what we found out?? The same plane! We got off in Reno, went to the bathroom, and heard the call to get in line. We were there a total of 15 minutes. We asked the stewardess why we'd gotten off and she was as confused as we were.

And the bracelets?? They did two things. Jack. Squat. I wanted to throw up my socks. My shoes. And my shoelaces. And while I was at it, my toenail polish.

I took pictures while I could to try and keep my mind off of it.

It didn't work. But I am happy to report, I did not throw anything up. I was several different colors of green during the three flights, but I kept everything in. Even though I hate to fly, I do love the views. From bridges, to islands, to neighborhoods, to what looks like patchwork quilts, to clouds, it is an amazing view.

But my favorite view?? The four people that were waiting for me when I got off the plane:c) I didn't take a picture because I was tearing up and hugging. It was soooo good to be home!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Thank you for taking us all along with you.
Best pic of this post--the mysterious driver. I would have kept my eyes on him too....