Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Run, Forrest, Run!!

Yes, I run. Well, jog. Actually it might be considered a fast walk. I have never really had the desire to run but when I heard of the Couch to 5k program I read about it and got a little interested. A precious neighbor and friend of mine had started running and had dropped 60 pounds quickly! (I then found out she chews french fries and spits them out but that's another story for another day!) I thought I would give it a try. The first week was walk 5 minutes, run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds. You repeat the 60-90 for twenty minutes and then walk another 5 minutes to cool down. I started, and survived. I'm not going to lie, 60 seconds is a long time!! I think I actually made it to week 2, run 90 seconds, walk 2 minutes. It's partially blocked from my memory so that might not be accurate. I think that vacation ruined it for me, or dinner. Like I said, the memory is sketchy.

I didn't really give it much more thought until Shawn got an e-mail about the Race for the Cure. My mom died of breast cancer when McKinley was 5 1/2 months old. (Another story for another day.) I have walked the RFTC twice but had always admired the runners. As he read the information to me I just had this feeling. God was telling me to run it. I asked Shawn how long it was until the race. Nine weeks.....and one day. Have I mentioned that the Couch to 5k is a nine week training course? I started the next day.

1 comment:

Kristie said...

I watched a TLC show once about people who had interventions (is that what it's called?) for their anorexic friends. One of the girls would eat entire bags of cookies but spit them back out before swallowing.

It might very well have been the most disgusting thing I've ever seen or heard of.

Needless to say, that must be why I'm fat and you're not. *YOU* are actually running, and *I* like to swallow the foods I eat. Call me crazy.

PS. (Enjoy your blog; I'll visit often!) :)