Sunday, April 27, 2008

Juice Fasting

Aren't you all lucky today? Two blogs for the price of one!

Since I'm sicker then a dog and not leaving my recliner I thought I could at least use my time wisely by blessing my friends and family some more!

I am starting a juice fast tomorrow. It had been my plan to do it from April 23rd (my birthday) to my May 23rd (my moms birthday). Since my mom and her mom died at 53 of breast cancer complications it is always on my mind. Because life got in the way I'm now starting tomorrow.

My dad, on the other hand, is a health food NUT and will probably out live me! He started eating raw this summer and since it's the first thing in my life he's done that hasn't scared me to death I started researching it. It makes sense. I won't bore you with the details, you can do a Dogpile search for 'raw foods' and be blessed with tons of information!


Juicer

I was recently lucky enough to inherit a juicer and have gone a little crazy since then. I've made orange, apple, celery, pineapple, tomato, broccoli sprout, strawberry juice; and many variations of those ingredients. Thanks to the recipes at http://www.goneraw.com I now will have some more to do! I've bought cucumbers, beets, romaine, pears, kale, and kiwi and can't wait to start!

I think in the morning I'll start with Jammin' Juice.

2 carrots
1 small beet, green included
2 celery stalks
1 small granny smith apple

Simple enough!

I'll let you know how it goes. I've read the detox symptoms and I'm still doing it. Here's what I should experience in the first two days.

Stage 1 (Day 1 To Day 2)On the first day of fasting, the blood sugar level drops below 70 mg/dl. To restore the blood to the normal glucose level, liver glycogen is converted to glucose and released into the blood. This reserve is enough for half a day. The body then reduces the basal metabolic rate (BMR). The rate of internal chemical activity in resting tissue is lowered to conserve energy. The heart slows and blood pressure is reduced. Glycogen is pulled from the muscle causing some weakness. The first wave of cleansing is usually the worst.
Headaches, dizziness, nausea, bad breath, glazed eyes and a heavily coated tongue are signs of the first stage of cleansing. Hunger can be the most intense in this period unless the enema is used which quickly assists the body into the fasting state by ending digestion in the colon.


Sound like fun, doesn't it?

Well off for my last supper. On the menu-Raspberry Chipotle chicken, Gigi's Green Beans, Herbed Grilled Potatoes (I threw broccoli, cauliflower, and red and green peppers in with the potatoes to override the butter and oil base that I cook them in!), and The Pioneer Womans Apple Brown Betty.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/04/apple-brown-betty-sweet-light-yummy/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm...the description alone of what is going to happen is enough to make me stay away. But good luck! I hope it works great for you!

We have a juicer too and every so often I go nutso and make juice all the time!