Thursday, January 28, 2010

Here it comes

Oklahoma is once again bracing for an ice storm. It's not our first and it certainly won't be our last. Since this is the third I've endured in this house I spent yesterday getting a few things ready.

I can handle everything except no electricity. No electricity=no heat. Because of that I have used a lot of energy, and muscles apparently, to carry in firewood. Shawn has been at work and is there now, so I decided to take matters into my own hands. Last time we were without power for over a week. We spent a few days all warm and toasty in the den of our house. We got it over 80 degrees in there! But...with only one tiny patterned window there was no light. Ice storms usually go hand in hand with cloudy, overcast skies. With 2, 5, and 8 year olds I ran out of ideas for entertainment in the dim light in about 4 1/2 minutes. Luckily Shawn was off work and my aunts house 2 miles away had power. We spent our days there and our nights toasty warm in the den with every blanket we own.

This time? Who knows. But no matter what happens, we'll have plenty of firewood. But now we have to face the fact that I am not the best fire builder. And someone (who is yet to come forward and admit it) has used the lighter and not returned it. So me lighting a fire with regular kitchen matches?? Have 911 on the phone and ready to dial.

2 comments:

Cozyflier said...

QUICK, get Tyler over there NOW!!!! He is a pyro-maniac! He takes after Kev. Tyler use to build all my fires for the Weber grill, he has experience!

sportzmom said...

I hope you don't lose power! You certainly are prepared though!